Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A mother's love

I can still remember when my son Tres was born. My thought was profound and complex... "holy crap I have a kid"!!! I remember holding Tres and knowing that whoever I was before him didn't matter at all. I was his dad now and I needed to be a different man. Tres finished what Sarah started; he turned me into a man who would do anything for his family because his family was now everything. Ellie and Rock confirmed that a 2nd and 3rd time. I love my family and I give everything I can for them.
I learned yesterday that what I'm capable of giving doesn't come close to what my wife gives. What my dad did for me doesn't come close to what my mom did for me. Subsequently what any father does for his children is minimal compared to what a mother does. I don't mean to minimize a father's role. It is pivotal in the life of a child. What I mean to say is.... well I'm not sure what I mean to say, just roll with me for a bit.
When Tres was born I began loving him. It was instant and it was strong, but previous to that I was excited for him, but I was still just the same old me, nothing had changed yet. Sarah began loving Tres the moment she decided she wanted to one day be a mother. I know that better now because I understand more what a woman sacrifices for her child. Physically a child ravages a woman's body. The actual labor aside, there are stretch marks, swelling, sickness beyond compare....whole books have been written on what a woman should be prepared for in the 40 weeks she is pregnant. After that comes something that men can not comprehend. Geez I'm glad it's something we can't comprehend!
So that's it, right? 40 physical weeks followed by labor and then you have a child to love. Wrong. A mother's love started before she was pregnant, grew stronger when she decides to get pregnant (a painfully emotional and expensive experience beyond measure for some) and continues to grow as the baby grows inside of her. There is a bond there that I can only see. I saw it yesterday and it breaks my heart to see it end.
I've heard statistics that say that 1 out of every 5 or 6 pregnancies will end in miscarriage. So I ask you, what kind of person would invest so much at such poor odds!? Only a mother.
I will admit that my wife is extraordinary. Even now, especially now, that our children are growing and getting older she still gives all of who she is to her family. It's impressive to see her teach our children, play with them, pray with them and it fills me with joy to see how much my kids love her in return. She has bad days, but even on the bad days she is amazing. I'm reminded daily that I am one lucky guy! My goal in this post is to make sure the other fathers see this in their wives too and to make sure the mothers know that their work is heavenly and I am positive that they have heavenly support.
I love Sarah. She is beautiful. Physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally beautiful. She loves me and gives fully of herself to me and our children.
So what I'm trying to say I'll let be said by someone who could say it better. "Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.
And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it."


My mother knew. My wife knows. From that I know my children will know as well and I don't think there could be a greater love than that.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

you are amazing! thanks for this. it means alot. love you more than words!

Julie said...

Sheesh, I've been trying so hard not to cry and you spoiled that completely. You have a beautiful way with words. That's an amazing tribute to all mothers and especially Sarah. I've always known you were lucky to have her, but I also know she's so lucky and blessed to have you.

Jen said...

All I can say is...wow.

What an amazing tribute to your lovely wife and mother.

I'm definitely making my husband read this!

Thank you.

kerriek said...

beautiful!

Jennie said...

Beautifully said. I am so very sorry!

Jeannie said...

Thinking of you guys and sending big hugs your way!

Rebecca McNair said...

Joey you couldn't have said it any better, I am so sorry for what you guys are going through right now. I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you guys and am here if you need anything.

Tricia Harnish said...

sarah was my babysitter growing up and even then i knew she would be a wonderful mother one day. your post totally made me cry and i dont even know you! that was amazing and now you have made me want babies! hahahah

Amberlynn said...

What a post! Joey, that is beautiful. What a loving hubby you are to your sweet wife. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Mama Bear said...

Man you just made me bawl my eyes out. Tony is definately going to read this! I'm so sorry for your loss.

On a side note, Kory Kunz was my seminary teacher and I absolutely LOVE his work! I love that you quoted that song.

Michelle said...

! Tears streaming...love you both!

Chelsea said...

Joey that was amazing, most of all what an amazing post for your wife, but thank you for the message you sent to all of us Moms. I'm so sorry for your loss, it's amazing how you are instantly in love the minute you know there's a baby. You are such a strong family, but if you need anything at all we're here (and my husband will also be reading this).

*tif* said...

That was amazing! Russ is going to read this too. Of course I cried as well. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Look what I found